Tuesday, December 18, 2012

12 Favourite Things in 2012 #1 Anita O'Day



This gorgeous version of Anita O'Day singing both "Sweet Georgia Brown" and "Tea for Two" is my first thing to share that I found in 2012 and loved. Shot in 1957 at the Newport Jazz Festival, it is taken from Jazz on a Summer's Day, a quiet but exquisite documentary made by Bert Stern (a fashion photographer who is otherwise famous for shooting Marilyn's "Last Sitting") and Aram Avakian in 1960. I have never seen the film in its entirety, but I love what I have seen - particularly the absence of narration, the participatory presence of the audience and the stylings of the great jazz divas. I have just discovered that the entire film is now available on youtube, so now there's no excuse. Something to curl up with on the holidays. One for the ages. 

No comments: